Friday, April 26, 2013

"That's a woman?" --Danny DeVito

     So what have I been doing lately? Last time I posted I mentioned something about working on a Bionicle Mod, which the work somewhat fell through for preferably undisclosed reasons. However, I've been keeping myself busy with other projects galore so that I am not idling.

      So, in Game Art, what am I most afraid of? Well of course, the only thing there is to be terrified of; Human Anatomy. Not only that, but female human anatomy. I don't know why, but something about the female face is difficult for an inexperienced sculptor. So naturally I wanted to tackle the process and hopefully overcome my fear. It was difficult at first because I fell into the "it's stylized" trap and didn't want to budge on my style. However, I soon realized that even the smallest differences can make a style pushed to drastic measures. Where I stand right now, I'm pretty satisfied with my result, but have to continue to finish the character, retopo, and texture her. This is what I've got so far.



      Yeah, I've got some things to work on, but I really wanted to add her to the spring show so I rendered a quick image of her head to submit. So far I think she's heading in the right direction but is by no means finished.

On the other hand, I've been working on some other sculpts that aren't my own design. Nicholas Kole is one such artist that I worked on a concept of his and was honored to actually have his critique. He's quite a genuine guy and gave me a lot of tips, at least with working on stuff in Amalur style. Here's the original concept and my sculpt by comparison.


School is coming to a close and that means summer (which also means more time to work). Hopefully I can get this girl finished and work on some other cool projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment